Fudgy brownies (they’re gluten free and paleo but ‘shhhhhh’…. no one will ever know)
My husband LOVES brownies so I decided this Father’s Day to make him brownies for dessert. Since I typically eat gluten free and try to eat mostly paleo, I do like to make desserts I too can indulge in. I told him if they didn’t satisfy his ‘brownie tooth’ then I would make him ‘real brownies’ later. And you know what, he told me I didn’t have to. That’s a win!
I have to give credit to Danielle Walker again for these ones. These are from her Meals Made Simple cookbook.
yield: 1 (8-by-11-inch) pan
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 35-40 minutes
½ cup grass-fed butter, plus extra for greasing the baking pan
8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (ideally no refined sugar, dairy or soy)
1 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup coconut crystals
½ cup blanched almond flour
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp arrowroot or tapioca flour
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp baking soda
4 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350° Lightly grease an 8-by-11-inch baking pan and place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom with the flaps on the side for easy release. The grease on the bottom helps the parchment stick.
- Bring 1 inch of water in a saucepan to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and place a heatproof glass or metal bowl over the top to create a double broiler. Slowly melt the butter and chocolate together, stirring constantly. Stir in the honey and vanilla, then remove from heat and let cool.
- In a food processor, grind the coconut crystals, almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot/tapioca flour, salt, and baking soda for 30 seconds.
- Add the chocolate mixture and blend until smooth. Add 1 egg at a time, blending for 15 seconds between additions to fully combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then release the sides with a knife and lift the brownies out of the pan with the parchment paper. Enjoy warm or let cool completely on a wire rack.