Homemade gelatin gummies are all the rage. These are a great Halloween ‘candy’ alternative to all the sugar-laden, processed candy that we will be tempted by in a couple weeks. Gelatin gummies are a totally guilt-free snack option. They are loaded with gut-healing gelatin protein and mine contain loads of antioxidants from berry purees. The flavour combinations for these are endless, so play around.
Notes: The gummy gurus say that pineapple, mango, and papaya will not work due to the bromelain (it will denature the gelatin and they won’t set).
I used Vital Proteins’ Grass-fed Beef Gelatin for this recipe. You can get the molds from Michaels or on Amazon.
Ingredients (this recipe will fill 4-5 molds)
8 tablespoons or ½ cup of gelatin powder
2 cups of pure blueberry juice
1 cup of defrosted frozen blueberries, pureed
- Get all your ingredients ready before you start because once you put the gelatin into the liquid, you will need to move quickly.
- Put your fruit juice in a small pot and heat on low until it starts to steam but do not boil.
- Puree your berries and then add to your liquid on the stove.
- Sprinkle the gelatin in slowly, whisky out the clumps as you go until all the gelatin is incorporated. You may need to skim off some foam from the top before putting into molds
- Immediately pour into your molds and put in the freezer for about 10 minutes to set.
- Take the gummies out to come to room temperature as they are best at room temperature.
- Store in the fridge for a few days.